Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Controversies

Before I read the controversies in "Conversations" about racial discrimination in the United States, I did not know what was truly going on in our country. I had heard rumors about racial profiling used by the police; however, I had never seen the statistics or the proof. Now that I understand how serious of an issue it really is, I have an interest to learn more of the facts. I want to be a well informed citizen of this country and realize my own prejudices so that I can learn to make educated decisions with the influence of a bias. Although everyone has certain biases, if they are made aware of them, they will be able to overcome them by thinking before acting and not subconsciously acting on them. I am not racist, however; I know that everyone has certain prejudices against certain things or people. I hope to overcome these and that others will overcome them also.

No comments:

Post a Comment